(Madrid) Real Madrid veteran Luka Modric will stay at the club for one more season after extending his contract until June 2024, the Spanish club announced on Monday.
The 37-year-old midfielder, who remains a mainstay for Los Blancos, decided to stay despite strong interest from Saudi Arabia who were looking to sign him at the end of his previous contract which expired in June.
The Croatian follows Toni Kroos, Dani Ceballos and Nacho Fernandez who have also decided to extend their stay in Madrid this summer.
“In his 11 seasons defending our shirt, he played 488 games and won 23 trophies,” Real Madrid said in a statement.
Modric has won the Champions League five times with Madrid since arriving in 2012 from Tottenham, as well as La Liga three times and two Copa del Rey.
The 2018 Ballon d’Or, who turns 38 in September, will face stiff competition next season at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Madrid bought England international Jude Bellingham from Borussia Dortmund for more than €100million earlier in June, while Kroos, Ceballos, Camavinga, Tchouameni and Valverde jostle for places.
Young Bellingham said during his presentation that he was eager to learn from Modric and Kroos in particular.
Modric finished second with Croatia in the Nations League and has yet to announce whether he will retire from international football or continue through to the 2024 European Championship next summer.