(Zurich) Four bids are in the running for the 2027 Women’s World Cup, FIFA confirmed on Monday, just days after a joint bid between the United States and Mexico was submitted.
Brazil, South Africa and a joint candidacy project bringing together Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands were already in the running for the ballot which will take place in May 2024.
These four candidates come from countries “where there is a strong tradition of soccer,” FIFA Secretary General Fatma Samoura said in a statement.
Germany, South Africa and Brazil hosted three successive editions of the Men’s Soccer World Cup between 2006 and 2014, and the 2026 edition of this prestigious tournament will take place simultaneously in Canada, Mexico and the UNITED STATES.
The bid projects passed an initial deadline set by FIFA last week. They must then ratify a formal agreement with FIFA by May 19. Then, the organization that oversees soccer on the planet expects to receive the final version of the project for obtaining the 2027 Women’s Soccer World Cup no later than December 8.
Until then, FIFA said, at least one of the four competing projects will be dropped from the race.