The tax return campaign is now over. Since this Thursday, June 9 at midnight, if you have not yet completed your tax document, you are considered late. And who says delay, also says sanction. However, some may escape it.

This is the case if you are one of the 11 million taxpayers concerned by the automatic declaration. When the information and income are already known to the tax services and there is no change to be made, the tax authorities consider that the process is effective. Did you notice an error late? You can then make a corrective declaration, without fear of any sanction.

As for latecomers, they risk a 10% increase in the absence of formal notice, likely to jump in the event of non-regularization. The amount is indeed increased gradually. Thus, upon receipt of the letter from the tax authorities, the penalty rises to 20%. If you delay declaring your income too long (beyond 30 days), the fine will jump to 40%. Late payment interest may also apply: it amounts to 0.20% of the tax due per month of delay, i.e. 2.4% over 1 year.

“These interests apply until the last day of the month of the filing of the tax return”, warns the public service on its site.

To avoid paying these increases, you will have to act quickly, and above all, prove your good faith. Here’s how.

Forgot to report your income? In order not to suffer a sanction, take the lead. Contact the tax authorities before they do so, by email or by post. Explain the reasons for this omission and regularize your situation. As the mediator of Bercy explains each year, the tax authorities can show tolerance when the error is “in good faith”. If this is your first misstep, chances are you’ll escape late penalties.

You can also request a free discount. Find out how.

As detailed on the website of the Ministry of the Economy, only a few reasons are favorable for the admissibility of a request for a free rebate.

“In the case of a request concerning the 10% increase following late payment, prosecution costs and default interest due under Article L. 209 of the Book of Tax Procedures, the request must be addressed to the Individual tax service (SIP) or to the treasury issuing the notice of payment”, stipulates the ministry.

If you do not receive a response within two months, “the request is considered rejected”.