(London) The Swedish disco group ABBA will not perform again next year on the Eurovision stage which will take place in their country, 50 years after their victory in the famous competition, announced Thursday to the BBC two of its members , ending fan speculation.
” I do not want it. And if I don’t want it, the others won’t. It’s the same for all four. If one says ‘no’, then no, Benny Andersson said in an interview with Newsnight magazine which will air Thursday evening on the BBC.
There is “no chance” that ABBA will sing next year or even make an appearance on stage, he said in excerpts from this interview published upstream by the BBC.
“We can celebrate 50 years of ABBA without being on stage”, abounds his sidekick Bjorn Ulvaeus, putting an end to speculation since the victory of Swedish singer Loreen on May 13 at Eurovision with the title Tattoo.
As required by the rules of the contest, the winning country organizes the next edition, and Loreen’s victory, widely celebrated in Sweden, raised hopes of seeing the legendary group with hundreds of millions of albums sold in the world world, on the occasion of the next edition which will be held just 50 years after their victory with the tube Waterloo.
After nearly four decades of silence and de facto separation, ABBA had released a new album Voyage at the end of 2021 and since last year, fans of their global hits like Mamma Mia, Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man after Midnight) or Dancing Queen, can attend a performance by the quartet in London represented by digital avatars broadcast as a hologram.
Building on its success, the show has been extended and plans are being considered to export it elsewhere in the world.