Broccoli, radishes, carrots… These vegetables are eaten without moderation. Even better, eating them without removing their tops and leaves is a really good idea, says Maison.

However, one caveat is in order: not all leaves are edible. Some are indeed unfit for consumption.

What is it due to? According to an article from the Swiss medical journal transcribed on Pleine Vie, a chemical substance can be found in the foliage of some of our garden products: solanine. Very useful to the plant because it allows it to protect itself against diseases caused by fungi and bacteria, the latter is however harmful to humans.

Ingesting too much of this compound then causes nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea, according to the Belgian Poison Center. Dizziness and intestinal cramps may occur in rare cases. According to this center, individuals who have swallowed solanine-based products immediately vomit the material.

Still others have a high content of oxalic acid, which is just as harmful to humans…

So as not to be mistaken, Planet has produced the slideshow below which presents the different vegetable leaves that should not be eaten in order not to become intoxicated.