When a spouse dies, various steps need to be taken. Indeed, specific organizations must be notified of this disappearance while benefits can also be claimed by the surviving partner. Thus, it is possible to claim a widowhood benefit, whether it is a survivor’s pension or a widowhood allowance, after informing the principals concerned. Who should you notify as soon as possible?

If the deceased was retired, it is first essential to inform his regional pension fund of his death. A letter is, in this case, recommended to carry out this procedure. You must imperatively mention his social security number, surname, first name, as well as the date and place of his death. A death certificate must be attached to your letter. Thanks to this first step, the payment of his pension is thus stopped while the pension for the month of death remains paid in full.

If you inform the pension organizations late of the death of your spouse, they may claim the monthly payments paid beyond the month of death. It is therefore necessary to be vigilant and to carry out this procedure as soon as possible. It is also essential to inform the other organizations on which your spouse depended. At the same time, you can also apply for a widowhood benefit such as a survivor’s pension or a widowhood allowance.