Firefighters Respond to Two Overnight Blazes in Winnipeg

Residents in a converted building on Manitoba Avenue were forced to evacuate after a fire broke out on Saturday night.

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) received a call shortly after 9 p.m. and rushed to the scene in the 600 block of Manitoba Avenue. Smoke was seen billowing from the one-and-a-half-storey residential building, but firefighters were able to extinguish the flames within thirty minutes.

The City of Winnipeg’s Emergency Social Services team is currently assisting the displaced residents in finding temporary housing. Thankfully, there were no injuries reported as a result of the fire. The cause of the fire is still under investigation, and the extent of the damages is unknown at this time.

In a separate incident, WFPS crews were called to a fire in the 100 block of Yorkwood Drive around 4:30 a.m. on Sunday. Smoke was spotted coming from a one-storey home, prompting firefighters to battle the blaze from the outside. The fire was brought under control within thirty minutes, and a cat was rescued from inside the home. The resident had already evacuated the premises before the arrival of fire crews.

WFPS determined that the fire was accidental, caused by an overheated lithium ion battery. No damage estimates have been provided for this incident.

Overall, the firefighters’ quick response and efficient action helped prevent any serious injuries or extensive damage in both incidents.