Roberto Alomar, who was serving as an advisor to Major League Baseball, was set on the league’s ineligible list after an investigation into a 2014 sexual misconduct allegation.
MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement Friday that an independent evaluation by an outside law firm has been forced to a baseball business worker’s allegation.
“Having reviewed all the available evidence from the now finished evaluation, I’ve concluded that Mr. Alomar violated MLB’s policies, which termination of his advisor contract and positioning on MLB’s Ineligible List are justified,” Manfred said.
“We’re thankful for the courage of the person who came forward. MLB will still continue to try to create environments where people feel comfortable talking up without the fear of recrimination, retaliation, or exception.”
MLB didn’t disclose additional information about the episode.
At a tweet, Alomar reported he had been”disappointed, surprised, and angry” but he knew MLB’s conclusion.
The Blue Jays — for whom Alomar played 1991 to 1995, winning two World Series titles — voiced support for MLB’s decision and stated they’d cut all ties together with Alomar. A banner Alomar, whose No. 12 was murdered from the group, will be taken out in the Rogers Centre, along with other acknowledgments of his Toronto profession, the Blue Jays said.
The Baseball Hall of Fame, to that Alomar was inducted in 2011, stated his enshrinement will stay in place.
“When he had been elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America at the Class of 2011, Alomar was a qualified candidate in good position. His plaque will stay on display at the Hall of Fame in recognition of his achievements in the match, along with his enshrinement reflects his eligibility and also the view of the BBWAA voters at that moment.”
He won World Series together with the Blue Jays in 1992 and 1993 and has been a 10-time Gold Glove winner at second base and a 12-time All-Star.