Officials said that Bill Clinton arrived in New York Sunday to continue his recovery from an infection that had left him in hospital for six days.

Hillary Clinton was on his arm as the former president left University of California Irvine Medical Center at 8 a.m. He was dressed in jeans, a sports coat, and a face mask. He made his way slowly out of the hospital and stopped to shake hands at the nurses and doctors lined up along the sidewalk.

When a reporter asked him how he felt, he gave a thumbs up. Hillary Clinton and he then boarded a black SUV. The California Highway Patrol escorted them in a motorcade and they headed for the airport.

In a tweet shared by a Clinton spokesperson, Dr. Alpesh N. Amin stated that Bill Clinton’s fever and white blood cells were normalized and that he would return home to New York to complete his course of antibiotics.

Clinton, 75, was admitted to the hospital southeast Los Angeles Tuesday with an unrelated infection to COVID-19. To continue his recovery, he arrived at his Chappaqua home on Sunday evening.

Angel Urena, a spokesman for Clinton, stated Saturday that Clinton would be kept in hospital until Sunday so that she could receive more intravenous antibiotics. Urena stated that all health indicators were trending in the right direction.

Hillary Clinton was at the hospital with her husband and was accompanied by her daughter Chelsea.

Friday night, President Joe Biden stated that he had spoken with Bill Clinton and that the former president “sends him his best.”

Biden stated that he is doing well; he truly is,” during remarks at University of Connecticut.

A former presidential aide said that Bill Clinton suffered from a urological condition that spread to his bloodstream. However, he was doing well and didn’t go into septic shock. This could have been a life-threatening condition.

According to the aide, Clinton was being treated in the intensive care section but not ICU.

The former president has had many health problems since leaving the White House in 2001. After suffering from prolonged chest pains, shortness of breath and shortness-of-breath in 2004, he had quadruple bypass surgery. In 2005, he was admitted to the hospital with a partially collapsed lung. He had two stents placed in his coronary artery in 2010.

He decided to adopt a largely vegetarian diet, which helped him lose weight and improve his health.

Clinton returned repeatedly to the campaign trail, often supporting Democratic candidates. This included Hillary Clinton’s unsuccessful 2008 bid for the presidency. In 2016, Hillary Clinton was seeking the White House as Democratic nominee. Her husband, a grandfather who was nearing 70, returned to the campaign trail.